Sunday, June 13, 2010

Netvibes

I’ve been looking into many RSS feeders lately. One that intrigues me is Netvibes. I first learned about Netvibes while watching a video presentation by Michael Wesch from Kansas State University. Professor Wesch is a cultural Anthropologist and digital ethnographer studying the effects of web 2.0 technology on our culture. What interested me was that he was using blogging tools, wikis and other web 2.0 tools like Netvibes in his college courses. I am interested in learning whether a tool like this one can be implemented a bit earlier in high school.















Netvibes is on of many RSS readers (or aggregator), which means that you can subscribe to content you come across all over the web and you no longer have to visit these sites separately to view new content. The purpose of RSS is the simple fact that you can have content work for you. Simply subscribe to it and you will conveniently see new content as it is added to each site. The beautiful part about this process is that the next time you go to look for new content, all you have to do is look at one page to sift through many different websites and decide which content you want to access. Whether or not I can use this tool in the classroom is another story, but I hope to learn more before my next post and share this with you.

1 comment:

  1. I like that website for RSS because it seems a bit more user-friendly with the layout. I was thinking about some ways that RSS could be used in the classroom and thought that maybe if it was hooked up to pages in wikis that the class interacts on or to accounts on VoiceThread that it could maybe update as new things were made? Each of my students has a VoiceThread account in which they can create their own VoiceThread and then respond to one another. I wonder if an RSS reader could show when each student creates a new VoiceThread?

    Also- connecting it to news sites like Time For Kids could be an option.

    ReplyDelete